Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Sounds of Quiet

My cable has been out for a couple of days. The guy is supposed to come today to fix it. Yesterday I was just sitting  in the family room on the laptop, reading blogs, facebook, checking out my etsy shops, whatever. And then it hit me how quiet it was.

So I grabbed a cup of tea and listened to how my house sounded quiet. I decided it's pretty noisey for quiet. The furnance goes on and off and I was amazed how long it's on. There was a little drip in my kitchen faucet that I had not noticed until it was quiet. I could hear the clock tick and a small noise from the overhead kitchen ceiling fan.

Birds could be heard through the window. I could even hear the cats walking. There was the faint sound of a plane and I wondered where it was going. I have never heard a plane from inside my house before. It was an interested exercise/observation.
----------------------------------------

The hand painted porcelain mug pictured above  is available in my Etsy shop. Here's the link:  http://www.etsy.com/listing/9959446/handpainted-porcelain-mug-cottage-style

3 comments:

Marlene said...

I love the sound of quiet when I am the only one up in the wee hours of the morning. Lovely cup.

Valley Primitives Gift Shoppe said...

Some times it's nice to just sit and listen to the quiet! Right now it's really quiet at our house and I am listening to the rain outside. I am excited that it's melting some of our snow, but kind of bummed for my daughter, she is at winter camp this weekend and I don't think they are going to get to do much outside.
Kim

KateHolloman said...

Very nice! I love the little painting :) so cute! :)

A Day in the Past

Facebook reminded me that  8 years ago I was at the coliseum in Rome. The most amazing observation I made was that it was so quiet. People s...