Sunday, January 17, 2010

Haiti & My Reality Check


So this morning I'm whinning to God...well wait a minute I guess I should back up. Those of you who know me, know that my Dad has recently had congestive heart failure and been in the hospital. Well yesterday Mom couldn't walk. She was in such pain that I told her she needed to go to the hospital.

I called the ambulance for her and off she went. I made Dad stay home because he couldn't walk around the hospital and I went with her.  It was late when I got home and this morning I awoke thinking gee I can't go to the Basilica with my friend today and I have to miss my regular time of  Mass this morning because I have to go get Mom's meds. I'm thinking...I just don't have life anymore...........ok now you are caught up.

So I'm whinning to God, "Gee God, I'm not sure how much of this I can take. Please give me your Grace to get through this. This is so difficult." And I'm also asking Him basically to take away my cross.  AND THEN CNN REPORTER is talking about Haiti and he's saying it's remarkable because everywhere in all this tragedity people are just spontaneously thanking God. Praising God JOYOUSLY...he said it's amazing.

And I think to myself, you have NO cross compared to the people in Haiti and they can stop and praise God in the midst of their horror..............TODAY. I'm just going to look in my parents eyes and see the eyes of Jesus & thank God that I have 2 parents and that I can spend time with them even if it's to spend it in hospitals or in service to them.

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' Matthew 25:40

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Joann, it truly does take a slap in the face for us to be thankful for what we have and realize it!! Oh the people of haiti, I sit and watch with such a heavy burden on my heart, please read on my facebook the link to the email from pastor Turner getting into Haiti!
The Haitians Poorest, yet!! The most joyous people and praising God people I have ever met!!! Makes my heart sing to God and now my heart ache so badly! for all of them. OH what LITTLE LITTLE they had, gone!

The Moonlit Stitch said...

Joann ~ thanks for your heartfelt post. Your parents are blessed to have such a caring daughter! Your situation is just as important to God - he cares for your folks through you! (Be sure to take care of yourself too). And he is caring for the people of Haiti through so many - how wonderful to see the people of the world come together in this massive relief effort. They have been broken, but they will be made strong again.
Lifting you and Haiti in prayer ~Lisa

Bouncy Biscuit said...

Will be praying for you. Thanks for the sharing. I feel so connected to what you feel.

Unknown said...

I do find it amazing that we can get so caught up in ourselves and not be thankful for what we have. Sometimes when I wake up in the morning Ryan asks me, "what are you thankful for today?", and it throws me off guard because all I can think about is how I don't want to go into work, how I have to work so hard to pay my mortgage, and when am I going to have time to cook.

But that little (no so) innocent question jars me back into reality...I have a job, I have a home with heat, and I have a refridgerator full of food. I also have someone in my life that puts my ego in check. I am thankful for all of those things.

I am sure your parents are thankful for you, even though they may not express it. Nonetheless, I am thankful for you -- for your kind words, for your kind deeds, and for inspiring all of us to QUIT WHINING!

Debra Keirce said...

Well Joann, I'm glad you finally got things back in perspective! (Said tongue in cheek - I think we all need daily reality checks.) My dad goes in on Thurs for more surgery on his cancer....I'll pray for your parents, and you pray for mine, and we'll all pray for Haiti, ok?

jywheeler said...

Thank you all for the wonderful words of encouragement and thought provoking comments.

Deb, I will pray for your parents. It's not easy taking care of parents. I think it's even harder than taking care of the kids.
And Haiti, yes, they need the prayers. I pray daily for them as I watch the news. It is so heart breaking.

A Day in the Past

Facebook reminded me that  8 years ago I was at the coliseum in Rome. The most amazing observation I made was that it was so quiet. People s...