Thursday, April 17, 2014

Agnus Dei

Today is Holy Thursday and tonight we Catholics commemorate the Lord's  Last Supper. The celebration of the first Eucharist in that upper room. Mass of the Last Supper is held after sundown.

 The priest washes the feet of 12 as Jesus washed the feet of the disciples.

This special Mass commemorates the institution of Holy Communion through Jesus's words "this is my body" and "this is my blood"  & direction to "do this in memory of me". At the end of Mass the hosts (which we believe is the consecrated Body of Christ) is removed from the tabernacle and carried in a procession to the lower church where it is placed in the other tabernacle.

After the procession the altar is stripped bare and bells of the church go silent until the "Gloria" at the Easter Vigil on Holy Saturday.

Mass will not be held on Good Friday. The Communion for that day will come from these already consecrated hosts that were moved from the church on Holy Thursday. That day is reserved for Stations of the Cross at 3 pm, the hour Jesus died and for readings that account the Passion of Christ. It is very solemn.

Easter time is my favorite time of the church year. It's rich with symbolism and tradition. Tradition that my parents, grandparents, great grandparents.....my family all the way back to the early church, shared in. This tradition makes me what and who I am.

Tonight I will be joining my daughter at the Shrine of St. Anthony for the Mass of the Last Supper.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Agnus Dei, 

quitollis peccata mundi: miserere nobis. 
Agnus Dei, 
quitollis peccata mundi: miserere nobis. 
Agnus Dei, 
quitollis peccata mundi: dona nobis pacem.

Translation:
Lamb of God
who takes away the sins of the world, have mercy on us.
Lamb of God
who takes away the sins of the world, have mercy on us
Lamb of God
who takes away the sins of the world, grant us peace.
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Joann,

Thanks for the post! I myself am jewish, and have heard a lot of talk about people going to church today and tomorrow but I was confused because I thought that Easter was the big holiday of the week. Thanks for your incite because I am now more aware of your religion and things going on.

Thanks!

jywheeler said...

You are welcomed Zach. We Catholics cherish our Jewish roots because Jesus was Jewish. That Last Supper that we commemorate was the Feast of Passover. Many Christian churches also have a Seder to explain the symbolism and beauty of that holiday and give understanding to the Last Supper of Christ. Happy Passover to you! :)

A Day in the Past

Facebook reminded me that  8 years ago I was at the coliseum in Rome. The most amazing observation I made was that it was so quiet. People s...