Friday, February 15, 2013

Our Visit to Cedar Key

So I'm back from my trip to Florida to visit my cousin Anna (Annie to me).  It was a great visit. She and her husband are clammers on the Gulf. They have a great set up and a retiree of the MD Department of Natural Resources, I was anxious to see their operation.

The weather wasn't cooperating though. It was blowing the 2 days we were to go out and I couldn't take my 85 year old father on that boat. I'd have been okay but I was worried about him slipping on the boat in the blowing spray. We did get to see the workshop where they repair and assemble the nets and the boat. Mike explained the process to me and they even sent a text message to me with a video showing some of their on water work.

Dad loves clams and each night he was able to have fresh clams. He was happy as a clam! LOL Annie and Mike live off the land and the sea. One night we had a ham from a wild pig they raised, fresh clams they harvested that day and greens from their garden. It was awesome.

One of the nights we went to dinner at the Island Room at Cedar Key which is owned by their friends Gina and Peter Stefani. It was beautiful. The food was awesome and the service was as well. I had the Linguini Alle Vongole which is Cedar Key Littleneck clams sauteed in wine, olive oil, garlic and fresh herbs. .  And I have got to tell you, the linguini was homemade & to die for!  If you are ever in that neck of the woods, check it out. http://www.islandroom.com/

Dad was ready to move down there. He loved the area and the people (especially Annie & Mike-Mike was so good with him).  It did him good to be away. Over the past couple years as my mother's health declined, she didn't want to travel anymore. He is a very social person and was so excited to be going to see Annie. Our next trip? May to see my cousins, Cece, Toots & Liz in Virginia Beach. Stay tuned for our adventures!.

No comments:

A Day in the Past

Facebook reminded me that  8 years ago I was at the coliseum in Rome. The most amazing observation I made was that it was so quiet. People s...