Thursday, January 14, 2010

Jan's Pets to Posies!


 Jan Gibson is my DAWG Team feature of the day. Her website is called Pets to Posies....is that an adorable name or not?  Jan does equisite animal art.  And I just love her florals.  Here's what Jan has to say about herself.

1) Tell us about yourself.
I'm a self-taught artist and have been drawing and painting since I was a child. I'm married with a daughter, a step-son, 3 granddaughters and a grandson. We live in the country which is very inspiring.

2) What are your preferred mediums and art scale (miniature, large art, etc)
My preferred mediums are pastel and watercolor, but I like to experiment with various mediums - there's so many out there that it keeps you from getting bored. I generally work from about 5x7 to about 11x14 but also do some aceos/atcs and much larger sized paintings.

3) What are your inspirations.
I would have to say my surroundings. We live in the country and have an abundance of wildlife (sometimes too much!), wildflowers and beautiful scenery plus there's room to have large flower gardens.

4) Describe your art style.
Definitely realism for the most part. But, I don't like to limit myself and experiment frequently.

5) Do you do anything other than painting (jewelry, crafts)
I do but don't offer any craft work for sale at this time.

6) If you blog, what is your blog link.
http://petstoposies.blogspot.com/

7) Where do you sell online?
http://petstoposies.com/
http://www.zazzle.com/pets_to_posies*

8) Are you opened to commission work?
Yes, most of my sales come from commissions. I do custom pet portraits from photos and will also do custom flower paintings.

9) What was your favorite piece of work? If you have a photo, include it.
Wow, that's a tough question! I tend to be super critical of my own work and can always see things I don't like. But, I guess this one (Lion) since it was very difficult for me to even gather courage to start! I'd had the reference photo for this for ages and was prompted to finally paint it for a contest. I won first place with it which was quite a thrill!



2 comments:

Marlene said...

Good Choice, I just love that lion of hers!

Jan said...

Thank you so much for featuring me, Joann! You're such a love.

Thank you for the nice comment too, Marlene!

A Day in the Past

Facebook reminded me that  8 years ago I was at the coliseum in Rome. The most amazing observation I made was that it was so quiet. People s...