Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Funky Side of Mary











Today I'd like to introduce you to Mary Fox one of the newer members of our Designing Artists Women's Group (DAWG Team) on Etsy.  She can be very eclectic and I just love her style...sure hope you enjoy her as much as I do!

1) Tell us about yourself.
My name is Mary Fox. I live in Long Beach Washington, which is a peninsula on the SW Washington coast. I am married, have two children, three grand children (so far) and Molly...our dog. I started doing art and craft projects when I was in my early twenties and have continued ever since. I have to confess...I do get spread out on what I like to do. The beach inspires me to make things out of what I find. I do a lot of that. I love to recycle and recreate...that is a favorite of mine.

2) What are your preferred mediums and art scale (miniature, large art, etc)
I am thoroughly enjoying doing ACEOs. Those little canvas items are so fun to do. I think I am getting hooked on them. Years ago, I started tole painting...that lead to jewelry making...to sewing...to making things out of other things that would have been thrown away...to beach crafting...to starting a running the largest art and craft fair in the Columbia Gorge for 13 years (till we moved)...to quilting and art quilting...to all of the above and more. I have just always kept my hands busy...that's me.

3) What are your inspirations.
My inspirations are very simple...I count God as the #1 artist. All I have to do is look around at His creation and see inspiration everywhere.

4) Describe your art style.
Boy...that is a hard one. I would have to say a little on the funky side. When I do art quilts, I tend to do more realistic than extreme. I don't tend to go "out of the box" much, but am learning to and have been enjoying that. I get bored with making the same thing over and over and very seldom make two of the very same thing.

5) Do you do anything other than painting (jewelry, crafts)
I haven't done painting in years and have just started doing that again. I have mostly been doing jewelry, quilting, quilting art hangings, and recycled crafts. I tend to give most of what I make away and wish I had taken more pictures of things done in the past. I do that now.

6) If you blog, what is your blog link.
Actually, this blog follows six of my creative friends who meet each Tuesday and not only solve the problems of the world, but create at the same time...I love this group and hope that some of you will follow along with us on our blog. We have a blast!

http://foxontherunarts.blogspot.com

7) Where do you sell online?
eBay using seaside_fox (selling mostly vintage items)
Etsy using longbeachfox (selling jewelry, ACEOs, vintage items

8) Are you opened to commission work?
Certainly.

9) What was your favorite piece of work? If you have a photo, include it.
I have a couple of favorites. The first is my part of a round robin our group did. My 12 x 12" piece was called Wind...my part of wind, water, earth, & fire...Elements. The second is a recycled vintage clear glass rolling pin now partially filled with Long Beach, WA sand, shells, and driftwood. I love using recycled items to create. The 3rd is a turquoise and red beaded necklace now listed on Etsy that uses a turquoise donut bead and silver turtle as it's focus.

8) Do you sell in a brick & mortar shop? If so where?
No, I don't.

2 comments:

Jan said...

I enjoyed reading this feature on Mary and loved seeing the turquoise jewelery piece she made. I need to go take a look at her Etsy shop. Thanks for this profile.

Marlene said...

Great blog, and I can attest to the fact that Mary's creations are fabulous in person, I have had the priviledge of seeing them for myself.

A Day in the Past

Facebook reminded me that  8 years ago I was at the coliseum in Rome. The most amazing observation I made was that it was so quiet. People s...