Tuesday, February 2, 2010

How DOOOO you do that?

I get asked all the time about the process of china painting. I have posted this before on my blog but I'm thinking it would be good to repost. Hope you enjoy it.
 
Here are  some pictures at each stage. Each piece of china is painted and fired in a kiln to a temperature of 1800 degrees multiple times. The paints are a powdered paint pigment that is mixed with various oils.The color must be built up. The paints are actually fired into the glaze making the paints permanent, dishwasher and microwave safe. The technique is the same as used by your grandmother or great grandmother who may have been a china painter.  

This piece was inspired by a beautiful antique postcard.  If you care to look at more china painting, here's the link to the Porcelain Art/China Painting section of my Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/JYWheeler?section_id=5051128
 
  Here's some pictures of how it progresses:
Inspiration Piece
 
 
 
Blank china









Design Sketched In




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 First Fire














 Second Fire




 
 
 
 
 
 
Third and Final Fire-Finished Product
 
 

A Day in the Past

Facebook reminded me that  8 years ago I was at the coliseum in Rome. The most amazing observation I made was that it was so quiet. People s...