Saturday, November 9, 2013

Life Goes On......

So last night was Shuffle Bowl at the Club. I think this is the 4th year. We do it every Friday night from September to March. It's a lot of fun and something Dad really enjoyed. Mom never played but she would sit there and cheer us on. 

 I was looking around watching people play shuffle bowl last night thinking how much my parents, Dad especially loved the club and how much he loved playing shuffle bowl.  He'd laugh a hardy laugh when Leo (his partner) would say, "that's my partner" when he'd get a spare or occasional strike.    

It wasn't easy for Dad to play because he had problems with his shoulder and didn't have full extension of his arms. As a result he was always in last place, but Leo, who is so good natured and loved Dad, volunteered to be Dad's team mate. 

Tonight is the monthly dinner/dance at the club with the Monaldi Brothers. Mom and Dad always went to the parties. In fact, my Dad was the one who really started those parties. When he went to the club, they didn't have them until he jumped in as the sponsor. And with those parties came the Monaldi Brothers because, hey if it wasn't an Italian Band it wasn't worth much. LOL My Dad and Mom loved to dance.

Dad loved that song Gigolo and the Monaldi's would dedicate that song to him at every party they played at. Mom and Dad would take the floor and do his "2 step".  I used to think to myself, how lucky I was to have parents who were so fun and had such a love for life.   I would go to those parties with them just to spend time with them. This will be the first dinner/dance that I've gone to without them there. It's going to be sad to watch everyone dance to the Monaldi's...but in my mind's eye, I will see them dancing out there doing the 2 step...life goes on.....
There will come a day, when youth will pass away,
What will they say about me?
When the end comes I know, there was just a gigolo....Life goes on without me.
-------------------------------------

Dad, there isn't a day I don't think about you.

No comments:

A Day in the Past

Facebook reminded me that  8 years ago I was at the coliseum in Rome. The most amazing observation I made was that it was so quiet. People s...