Wednesday, June 13, 2012

It's a Sailabration

Mexico

 

The Fire Boat...welcoming the ships
     Today was a special day in our area. I live in Maryland not far from Ft. McHenry the home of the Star Spangled Banner. This week marks the 200 year anniversary of the War of 1812.  Today 40 tall ships and navy war ships sailed down the bay and into the Baltimore Harbor past the Fort. It was a beautiful day and a beautiful sight and I am blessed to have been able to witness it with my friend Charmaine and her sister Dee.  The ships slowed down at the Fort and shot blanks off at the Fort and then the Fort in return fired back.

       There were lots of people all along the shore, some on blankets, some in chairs and some like us sitting in the grass.There were lots of kids there too. I wish my son had my grandson this week. He would have loved this. 

As each ship passed by those on the shore would wave and clap.  The sailors would respond with waves.  Some of the ships, like the Mexican tall ship played music which you could hear along the shores.

    Park Rangers were all over the place pointing out the ships and which countries they hailed from. 

         The weather was perfect, low humidity, warm temperatures and a wonderful breeze off the water.  Everyone it seemed had a camera. But the guy on the right had the Big Daddy of Cameras! LOL. I couldn't resist sneaking a photo of him.

  There was so much to see on the land and in the water.  We even saw a rare sight. Off the bulkhead I spotted a sea ray going all over the place, fins rising up from the choppy water as if to say welcome, we are glad you can come celebrate with us.  The ships will be here until Tuesday. There are lots of things going on in the Harbor. Including concerts, the Blue Angels, ship tours, you name it. I hope I'm able to fit more.

It's days like this that I'm thankful that I was born in Maryland.

No comments:

A Day in the Past

Facebook reminded me that  8 years ago I was at the coliseum in Rome. The most amazing observation I made was that it was so quiet. People s...