Friday, May 14, 2010

Going to the Birds....

...or at least that's the way I feel.  About 2 weeks ago my Jazzercise class started a new routine. That was the start of it. Numbness in my arm. So I go to the doctor who says pinched nerve and gives me some prednisone...it's been almost a week and it's no better.

So I'm thinking this morning, it's hell getting old. The aches and pains, the pulled this muscle or that muscle...now pinched nerves! It's irking my last nerve! But I guess the alternative to not aging isn't good either so I'll make the best of it.

Speaking of birds. I love birds. I have this little "island" in my backyard for birds. It brings quite a few of them in. I love to watch them.
So today I give you tips for attracting birds to your yard...you know it's like people it's all about food, water and shelter! 

Birds like people, like to eat so you gotta feed them so put out bird feeders. But when you put them out think about what kind of birds you want to attract. Maybe you want a variety. So put out a feeder with general mix of wild bird food. You might want another one with thistle  to see some goldfinch or even one with necture for hummingbirds. I like to leave an open dish of peanuts in the shells for my bluejay buddies! The squirrels also love them which is okay with me too. I'm not anti-squirrel.

All that food makes them thirsty so a nice bird bath will do the trick for a sip and a quick bath. I love watching birds flap around in the bird bath.  But make sure you keep that bird bath clean. We don't want dead birds in the bird bath! Of course with water comes mosquitos. I use a mosquito control rink that I put in the bird bath. It's safe for birds and it keeps the mosquito larvae away. Here's a link to one I found online:
http://www.shop.com/Mosquito_Control_Rings-73114744-90743006-p+.xhtml?sourceid=298 

So now their bellies are full and they need a place to rest their weary heads from all the flapping around in the bird bath. That's where the shelter comes in. Add a bird house or two but if you don't want to mess with the birdhouses even providing shrubbery, grasses or some trees will go along way.
---------------------------------------
If you like the bird house pictured above. It's available in my Etsy shop. It is not suitable for outdoor use. It's purely for decorative purposes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have 2 bird houses in my shop. Here's the link for the one above:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/33502861/handpainted-bird-ofgsfc

1 comment:

Marlene said...

Hi Joann, I also love to feed the birds. We have quite a few feeders and I have found out that most of them love Black Oil Sunflower Seeds, and of course the thistle for the finches. I like your birdhouse.

A Day in the Past

Facebook reminded me that  8 years ago I was at the coliseum in Rome. The most amazing observation I made was that it was so quiet. People s...