Sunday, March 31, 2013

Today's Observation and Thought

The other day I was saying to our Pastor that it makes me crazy that parents bring the kids to church and give them toys and snacks in an attempt to keep them quiet. When I was a child, even a very small child, I was expected to pay attention to Mass. I expected my children to pay attention to Mass. I never came with toys and snacks.

Today at Easter Mass there was a man who came with 4 children who I'd never seen before. There were no snacks and no toys and he expected them to pay attention, kneel, stand and sit at the appropriate times. It was refreshing to see. The little boy had to be talked to several times. He must be ADD or something. When going up to Communion he would walk intentionally into people going the other way. I gently put my hands on his shoulders and guided him back into line. He looked up at me surprised but he was better after that. I thought to myself, that's exactly the way it was when I was a child with adults in our congregation. I think when another adult says something, it makes more of an impact. Like they say it takes a village to raise a child.

They were really a lovely family and the Dad was doing a good job alone without a Mom to help. The children were very reverent when they went to Communion (2 were too young for communion & received blessings).  On the way to Communion one of the older girls said to me, ' you have a pretty singing voice.'  I always say, if you sing at church you will get a good singing voice too. LOL Happy Easter

No comments:

A Day in the Past

Facebook reminded me that  8 years ago I was at the coliseum in Rome. The most amazing observation I made was that it was so quiet. People s...